Hi, I’m Ana Forrest.
I’m a Medicine Woman, Author, and creatrix of Forrest Yoga. I’ve been teaching yoga and evolving Forrest Yoga since 1975.
I created Forrest Yoga because the traditional forms of yoga did not address most of my deeper injuries; my lost Soul, the addictions—the helplessness around the addictions—and the on-going suffering.
- Establish Forrest Yoga in the river of humanity, as a healing element of change and transformation for seven generations into the future.
- Teach my students (and embody) deepening our relationship to our Spirit.
- Entice my students into building Good Medicine relationship with Earth, Sky and the Sacred Ones.
- Use my practice to fulfill my needs… of healing, adventure, delight and Vision Quest.
- To Spread the sparkle of Good Medicine everywhere I go.
- These are all elements of my Spirit Pledge — doing my part to Mend the Hoop of the People.
How yoga became part of my life:
I took my first class at around age 13 or 14. It was a dare from a girl at school. We had never talked before and this quiet, soft-spoken, pale teenager challenged me to go to a yoga class, saying “I have something you can’t do!’ I was shocked to be having this conversation, so as a play for time, I took out a cigarette and tamped it down, lit it and blew smoke at her, and took up the gauntlet. Robin took me to my first yoga class and it completely shocked me. I wasn’t good at it, it was difficult for me, but there was something there that drew me in — that tapped a deep craving.
At the time I didn’t know why this girl approached me; now I think it was a nudge from what the Native Americans call the ‘Sacred Ones’. And that’s how I began the journey to save my own life.
There’s an innate teacher in me and when I find something worthwhile, I have to teach it. I took a teacher training in 1975 – aged 18 – in Mexico. It was the most intense month of my life, yet gentle and healing at the same time. By the time I left, my body was clean of drugs and alcohol for the first time since I could remember. I realised that I was a healer not only of horses (at the time, I was an up-and-coming horse trainer), but of humans too. I finally connected to a reason to live!
STUDIES & INFLUENCES